Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I'm Back

Sorry, but it have been somewhat remiss in blog entries.
My memories of Mumbai surround how busy a port it is with major navy ships, including the former British navy aircraft carrier, Hermes, of Falkland Island fame, bulk carriers, oil tankers, fishing fleets, etc. really impressive. Also impressed by the home of the founders of Kingfisher beer, and also fond of their product and getting more fond as we head South.
The train trip was uneventful, but we did have a spacious 4 person compartment to ourselves. The country side seemed very barren and dry. Ended in Madgaon which is definitely not touristy, but nice. The traffic on the main road was worth the price of admission and also your life if you tried to cross. Joy got to see her first market and bought her first pashmina.
I had an adventure getting the tickets for our second leg to Ernakulam (Kochi). The India Rail site was closed down for the morning so I couldn't go through Cleartrip. I decided to try the station and lined up with a number of Indians in the line for Foreigners. The man in front of me said that I should "butt in" at the front of the line as I was a foreigner and also older than dirt. I explained that I was Canadian and we didn't do that. After about 30 minutes in line, during which time I was happily chatting with those around, an official came and dragged me, against my protestations, to the front. I felt so badly, that I left the station before getting service. Back to the internet with Cleartrip to find out that there was no space on trains for a few days. Back to the station (I had noticed that they re-opened at 2:15) and now I was second in line. I got to the window and said where I wanted to go and he immediately gave me confirmed tickets for the next day. Maybe part of the "foreign quota". It was a long day.
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment