Sunday, February 2, 2014

Kerala

India has posed a number of questions for me. I am certain that there is a government department regulating the colour of women's clothing. With all the spectacular coloured saris (sp) and scarves, why do you never, never see two the same? I have been watching closely and yet none wear the same!
Another issue I have is with beer. This part of the country is warm ( make that d----- hot) and getting hotter, and the Indians make a decent beer called "Kingfisher", and yet at some times it cannot be found. We first ran into this in Fort Cochin, when our favourite watering hole, ran out of Kingfisher one day and we had to choose from three European beers. We chose the Danish one and the next day couldn't get it or Kingfisher, so settled for the Dutch beer. The following day the restaurant was closed. I know that Joy and I didn't cause that, but there were a lot of thirsty, hot, tourists wandering around that day. None of the locals had a reason for no beer that day?
Joy and I both have been watching the men in "luongos" (I am sure that that is spelled wrong but that is how it sounds). This is a long skirt worn by Keralian men and modified on the move by various flips and tugs to change the length and functionality. Very interesting to watch.
Jim

2 comments: