Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pondicherry Stores

Feb 21, 2014
I'm sure that Joy will mention this, but it was so impressive that I have to comment as well. Yesterday, Joy and I got the "rickshaw" driver to drop us off on the other side of the road from the hotel as we were too terrified to walk across (see Indian Driving Rules). We stopped in at 2 stores selling sarees and other items of Indian clothing. We were met at the door and treated royally but the many staff. She seemed to have 3 or 4 men (mostly) showing her fabrics of all colours. Of course, the "piece de resistence" was a beautiful suit for me (almost bought it) with a knee length jacket. I looked almost regal. The whole experience was like something you might see in a film of the days of the English "Raj"!
We next went to a small grocery store and were greeted by the manager at the door and given a grocery basket. I swear that there was a clerk in every aisle smiling and asking if we needed help. They even offered to carry the basket for Joy. I'm sorry, but there are times when it is impossible to find someone to ask about anything in our grocery stores. 
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment